What are the signs of basement leaks?
Try to catch basement leaks before they ruins your basement. Not only will they destroy your interior finishes and belongings, but the water can affect your family’s health due to mold and mildew exposure. And don’t think water damage can only occur inside your home – it’s important to check the exterior as well. Watch for these common signs:
- Water stains – They can be present on your basement walls, ceiling or floors. This is a clear indication that you have a basement leak.
- Mold/Mildew – This means that there is a leak and levels of moisture. Mold can be any color. Get it tested immediately if you suspect there is mold in your basement.
- Musty odor – Wet basements smell musty due to moisture and water leaks.
- Walls leaning in or out – If your walls are starting to lean or bow, this is a good indicator that there is water in your basement.
- Rotting wood – Rotting wood indicates moisture problems. The structure of your home can be damaged.
- Deposits on walls – White chalky substances from mineral deposits can be present on your basement walls. This substance comes from the presence of water.
- Rusty appliances – Moisture causes rusty fuse boxes and appliances. Immediately seek out the source of the water and fix the problem.
- Wall cracks – Water can cause basement wall cracks. Avoiding necessary repairs and waterproofing, will make wall cracks larger.